Friday, July 18, 2008

Confessions of a Weave Convert: Jennifer Week Three

At Sunny’s Hair and Wigs, customer satisfaction comes first. As a non-customer, I come somewhere near number ten, which means that whenever I have a need for new hair, I have to stomp my feet and whine, and toss the hair I’ve got in an aggressive dance I call “The Make Me Pretty Again.” Usually this elicits laughter and a countering of “If you only…” a sentence that can be completed in a variety of ways, leading me to develop a few tried and true rules of hair maintenance. I’ll be exploring and sharing my trials (and errors) as I go forward into the wonderful world of hair.

Lesson #1: Don’t aggressively brush your extensions.
Most necessary for keratip (heat fusions), which are often spliced into smaller pieces for a more natural effect like Invisible Hair Secrets, but also applicable to Eurolocs (cold fusion). The hair looks so good, so natural, maybe we forget that it’s not our hair and just go at it after a humid windy day, the kind that would give anyone an Amy Winehouse beehive (totally extensions and pieces, BTW).

But it’s not my hair or your hair, no matter how much it cost us. Where I could get away with raking any old brush through my real hair, extensions require a looping brush that is gentler on the bond, as well as the tangles. I’ve also found success in using an extra wide tooth comb on tangles that are near the bottom of my strands, caused by jackets with hoods and necklace clasps.
If you can get your hair wet without worrying about losing a press or a perm, do it (though it gets crazy heavy) and add a conditioner to the lower half of your extensions. Keratip users in particular must avoid the hair bond, since they dissolve with certain oils and moisturizers. Since my hair is colored, I use Garnier Fructis for color treated hair, and we also recommend Biosilk, both available at your local drug store.
Gently sweep through roots with the loop brush, then with the extra wide tooth comb, run through the body of the hair, separating into sections. This makes it easier to narrow down any troublesome spots without getting perfectly well-behaved hair involved. With knots separated from the rest, bring in the fine toothed comb. Hold extensions firmly at the bond or just above a problem spot so as to not put stress on the bond or your attached hair, and gently pick through the knot, working it out. Finish with one more sweep of the loop brush before and after rinsing. Air dry. If you must blow dry, blow dry with your hair contained, in sections on a brush, in two thick braids, anything to keep the hair from getting tangles again, otherwise it’s back to step one.


Now that I’ve gotten my touchup, my head is heavy again. There’s approximately seven ounces of sew-in hair, eight or more in strand by strand extensions because of the bonds. The good thing about this is you can’t slouch. I don’t understand the mechanics of it, but it keeps your head up and back, your shoulders squared. Sure, you get used to it over time, but in the early stages, it’s really quite different.

I’ve developed a method of preparation* that you may find helps ease your transition into weave-land.
At any drug store, while you’re there stocking up on hair care products, grab an ace bandage and a king size bag of plain M&M’s (a small bag of rice or beans will work as well). Upon returning home, place the M&M’s on the crown of your head, positioned like a yarmulke. Secure in place by wrapping the ace bandage around your head, the way injured characters in vintage films used to appear. Put your hair products away, and notice the way your body is more upright, your movements more deliberate. Go ahead, do the dishes and vacuum. After all, you can’t take the hair out just for these things. Go on with your home life the way you do every other day and try to forget that there’s a bag of M&M’s strapped to your head. Instead, imagine the long flowing hair you’ll have in a day or two. Practice every night until your appointment. By the time you’re catwalk-ready, you won’t notice the difference. Now, reward your pretty self with the M&M’s (or rice and beans).
*do not attempt outside the privacy of your own home.

1 comment:

haireality said...

Great post! go to my blog, at haireality.blogspot.com we are similar

luv ya